Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Dutch Oven Sweet and Sour Chicken




While we were out camping over the weekend we tried out some dutch oven recipes. I actually forgot a few things including the rice to serve it over, but what's camping if you didn't forget something, right? I halved this recipe since it seemed a little large for the three of us. And even eating it without rice was great! All the recipes we tried were really good but this one especially. Brad insisted that I post it to share. And I think it would even be great making it on the stovetop so I plan on trying that out next.


Side-note: I ended up putting extra coals on top to speed up the cooking process since I am an impatient person, but I don't think it was necessary.

1 lb. bacon

6 chicken breasts, skinless/boneless

1 cup onion, diced

1/2 cup green pepper, diced

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

12 oz. ketchup

4-5 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 tablespoon season salt

1/2 tablespoon pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 cup pineapple juice

1/4 cup bamboo shoots, drained

16 oz. pineapple tidbits, drained

1/2 tablespoon soy sauce


12’’ Oven

With 12 coals on bottom and 12 on top, add bacon and cook until done. Drain grease. Add chicken, onion, and green pepper. Cook together until chicken is done. Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, cornstarch, season salt, pepper, garlic powder, brown sugar and pineapple juice, bamboo shoots, pineapple tidbits and soy sauce. Mix in well. Cover and cook for 20 minutes. Uncover and let mixture simmer down until thick, stirring often. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment